Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Red Equinox by Douglas Wynne

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Lately I have been skirting my mounting TBR list in favor of a few First Reads that have been slowly accumulating. This one in particular was a weird one to classify and extremely hard to rate. The writing was good and often poetic. The character development was very good but selective,focusing mainly on the reluctant heroine. The world building was extensive and probably its most redeeming quality.  In the beginning it was confusing, the pace was slow, the language was extremely weird and not my thing at all. So much so that I put it down, read two books in the interim and still dreaded coming back to it BUT I gave my word that I would finish it and give my honest opinion so deeper down the creepy rabbit hole I went. *an aside- it did pick up around the 40% mark so stick with it if you're already invested* In the interest of brevity this is a story of parallel universes merging and incredibly nasty creatures (or Old Gods as they are believed to be by some) breeching the divide and implementing bloody tactics in order to try and force us to worship them. It was unique to say the least! It came off as disturbing and demented when I believe it was shooting for gruesome and horrific. I have read other reviews that said there were references to characters and concepts from the author's previous works which I have not read so fans of his will most likely enjoy this book a lot more than I did. All in all it was a well written book but not my cup of tea.