Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
My Heart and Other Black Holes - Jasmine Warga

"If I have a boyfriend, his name is Death. And I’m pretty sure Roman is in love with him, too. It’s like a love triangle gone wrong . Or maybe it’s a love triangle gone right: we both get the guy on April 7."

That (assisted suicide) is the basic premise of this amazing surprise of a stand alone gem that was placed in my favorites list the minute I stopped staring at the book's final page with loving longing for more. Reading the blurb the author posted left me asking if I even wanted to bother with a YA book about suicide. Let me start by saying that Jasmine did not do the book one ounce of justice. Maybe if she had divulged more it would have given away too much of the plot but I swear to you that it would have been an undeniable loss on my part had I written it off as a pretentious teenage drama. Let me assure you that this book is worth every glassy eyed hour spent openly gushing, lovingly devouring, ugly face sobbing, highlighting and eventually demanding the opening up of the beaten and blackened shutters to your weary soul allowing in the light, cleansing and restoring.

"I breathe in her floral perfume and it reminds me of when I was younger, before the heaviness inside me became so overwhelming, so unbearable. I wonder if that's how darkness wins, by convincing us to trap it inside ourselves, instead of emptying it out."

"I  read once in my physics book that the universe begs to be observed, that energy travels and transfers when people pay attention. Maybe that's what love really boils down to- having someone who cares enough to pay attention so that you're encouraged to travel and transfer, to make your potential energy spark into kinetic energy. Maybe all anyone ever needs is for someone to notice them, to observe them."

Aysel observes and relates to the world through Physics steeped tangents of thought...quirky? Yes, though it works, it really works! Be warned: this book does have triggers if you are prone to depression or suicide. The overall tone of the book is one of a deeply thought out, seemingly acurate, introspective analysis of guilt, depression, longing, sel-loathing and ultimately leading to the burgeoning of strength, pride and love. Roman and Aysel not only form a bond by wishing a shared demise, they see into one another with such clarity and acceptance that you can't help but sympathise and finally Love both characters as well as the supporting cast...the writing is that good!!!

"You're like a gray sky. You're beautiful, even though you don't want to be."

I'll leave off agreeing that "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." It's up to each of us to decide which mindset to finally choose, where does your brain take you?

A must read!!!