Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands) by Fine, Sarah (2014) Paperback - Sarah Fine

My husband and I read this book every night during our precious time together, before bed, and boy it was NOT what we expected. The world building was good. Shadowlands were gritty and dingy, dangerous and seemingly hopeless. Sounds promising for a tale set in  purgatory. The MC Lela was a no nonsense, kicker of major butt, damaged but not broken entirely heroine who was loyal almost to a fault. Nadia was very flat and hard to even feel badly for. Malachi was loveable though not very complex or well fleshed out for that matter. The most difficult things about the book for both my husband and I to stomach were the very slightly endearing (but mostly awkward) budding romance coupled with the entire tone seemingly geared towards a younger YA demographic. That in and of itself is cool if you're into that sort of thing but just didn't do it for a married/ not so teen-ish couple looking for more demonic @$$ kicking and less first time/ doe eyed swooning. The ending is a cute (though a bit convenient), gift that has been wrapped up really pretty and served with a glass of warm milk. At least it was a quick and rather painless read. This would be a great book for Twilight fans who are looking for a little bit of a different type of evil Beastie to fight while retaining the same amount of saccharine gush. All in all it wasn't terrible, not great either but not terrible.