Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
Living With Your Past Selves - Bill Hiatt

I came across this book because I was gifted a copy of the second in this series for Read & Review and found the concept so original that I decided to pony up the money and buy the first book so I wouldn't miss a thing. Boy was that a mistake!! I really wish I liked this book more. The first person narrative was well paced and not badly written. The concept of knowing your past lives was an interesting one though he could have stood to learn from them and grow through that knowledge a bit more. There was definitely a sense of things just working out with little to no effort required. Tal must ultimately learn to forge a connection between Magic and Technology, a task that seems almost insurmountable yet he learns it in little to no time at all. He becomes so proficient through very little trial and error that it was unbelievable and down right boring. I found myself skimming, and praying for some substance, assuredly a bad sign. Skim...skim..insta-powers...skim...skim...mutual insta- love/lust  ...UGH!!!....the writing made the read relatively painless and the concept was original but the rest was absolute, middle of the road, insta-hellish Meh! I wished there was more substance and not just fluffy clouds of Meh but wishing it doesn't make it so. I am now facing a Read and Review of the next book in the series in exchange for an honest review and I find myself dreading the task.