Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
More Happy Than Not - Adam Silvera

"If you looked inside me, I bet you’d find two different hearts beating for two different people, like the sun and moon up at the same time, a terrible eclipse I’m the only witness to."

Oh how I wish I could wrap this synopsis up in a neatly constructed, pretty bow and deliver this book to you in a lovingly adorned package of succinct thoughts. Sadly (and thankfully) this book is SO many things but having just finished (by way of a serious recommendation from a friend-thank you Ella!) I find it difficult to slap a label on it and writing a coherent review is proving just as challenging. I wish I could post all of the beautifully written passages I highlighted and reread and cherished but I would loathe to give away even the tiniest bit of joy in finding every nuance and twisty rollercoaster ride of feelings that you will most certainly experience throughout this emotionally  charged, well crafted, excellently executed gem of a debut novel. When I read the first half of the book I believed that I had a firm grip on what was happening all around and throughout this world but let me tell you that I had NO idea what I was really in for. It was such a beautiful thing to witness unraveling as I lived alongside Aaron and slowly began to realize just how complex and gritty the story really was. Was I loving every moment? No! This is not a feel good, coming of age tale that brings you slowly to an emotional precipice and keeps you there with the promise of everlasting happiness wrapped in rainbows. What it IS is a (semi) realistic, extremely emotional take on what could possibly happen in a world where second chances are possible through the magic of everyday science. It is not all doom and gloom though. It is more like a dose of reality wrapped in a beautifully expressed piece of favorite art tied up in bacon goodness. I leave you with some small sliver of the magic and hope even this does not reveal too much. I LOVED every minute of this book and yes, even the bits that made me cry big fat ugly tears in the silence of the wee hours of the night.

"I’ve become this happiness scavenger who picks away at the ugliness of the world, because if there’s happiness tucked away in my tragedies, I’ll find it no matter what. If the blind can find joy in music, and the deaf can discover it with colors, I will do my best to always find the sun in the darkness because my life isn’t one sad ending— it’s a series of endless happy beginnings."