Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
Firetale (The Devil's Circus Tales Book 1) - Dante E. Graves

The Good, the Bad, the VERY Bad and the Freaky:

The Good:

This is a very unique, well written tale featuring a cornucopia of magical/mystical beings including some heavy hitters from THE Battle between Good & Evil.  The author drew upon the myths and beliefs of people from all over the world as well as throughout the ages. The sheer volume and diversity of the enchanting personae depicted was extremely impressive. The author knows his lore and isn't afraid to use it. The world building and characters were nicely fleshed out (for the most part) and the story did a lot of showing instead of telling (which is critical).

So far so good right? What made it SO star worthy though? The premise of course but mostly I fell in love with the atmosphere. What stage could not only house but showcase all of the awe inspiring otherworldly-ness of this cast you might wonder? Why, it's a Satan sponsored/encouraged/funded Circus jam packed with an Immortal ringmaster, various Demionis and the archivists that commune with them. Who doesn't love a circus, especially one populated by real deal Freaks and Monsters? This circus happens to be circa Who knows when since the story jumps about like the critter inside of a Mexican jumping bean trashed on Tequila. That digression segues into the next section quite well...

The Bad:

There are quite a few things to list here, especially for a 4(ish) star rating. Let's start with the crazy flip flopping POVs as well as the time periods that flipped back and forth just as much. It was distracting, confusing at times and made for a disjointed read (in places). No bueno! Thankfully it didn't detract from the overall experience enough to deduct serious stars for it. The writing WAS good but sometimes gigantic words don't enhance the reading, it just bogs the whole process down. It was not a complete deal breaker but it sure was annoying when the breaks were repeatedly thrown on the movie in my head.

The VERY Bad:

The pace was s-l-o-w. There was almost NO real action. Even the sure-fire showdown that was meticulously built to a tantalising crescendo turned out to be nothing more than an anticlimactic slow trickle off a desperately despised cliff(hanger). Yup, I said it...a big fat cliffhanger that came out of nowhere. I get it, there's a book #2 on the horizon but chopping a story off in the middle and just leaving the bloody stump hang there is a serious party foul in my opinion.

The Freaky:

I could list all of the different types of paranormal, mythological, and magical species but that would ruin some of the fun.

All in all I liked the overall product. I can overlook a lot of the negative things I said because at the end of the day I'll take a unique premise over an extremely well written regurgitation any day!

*bottom line: Read it! It was worth the time.