Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
Mental - Justice Serai

"Sometimes sanity is overrated." "I don't go crazy. I am crazy. I just go normal from time to time."

This book does a really good job at showing us what it is like to be under schitzophrenia's evil thumb. It's hard to put yourself in the shoes of a person suffering from a mental illness. With this book I found myself going through the gamut of emotions that i can only assume a schitzophrenic feels on a daily/ hourly/ momentary basis. I felt anxious, depressed, manic, paranoid, and even emotions I have no clinical name for. Things like time stretching out even though no time in the outside world has passed and time jumps/skips/ or mental blackouts.

"Time works differently when you’re mental. I call it Crazy Time. In Crazy Time, things don’t have to make sense, yet I accept them anyway. I feel a bit like Alice in Wonderland, only I stopped questioning long before she did. When at the Mad Hatter’s tea party, it’s best to just keep drinking."

Ultimately this is a beautifully crafted first person tale of finding oneself after being lost within oneself for a very long time. It is also a tale of finding love even where it is least likely to blossom.

"Two love-sick idiots in a mental institution. It's like some twisted fairy tale." "He sees me and I see him in a way no one else can. We’re broken and crazy and imperfect together. Two Cheshire cats at the Mad Hatter’s tea party."

The characters are robust and how can you not root for/ fall in love with Julian?? Yes, ultimately the story is a feel good story but having been on the journey alongside Lucy it is a well fought battle to happiness. All in all, Mental was a quick read with lots of emotion.