Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

MG Fantasy.....sloooooooow style

In the Land of Magnanthia (Portals, Passages & Pathways Book 1) - B.R. Maul

******I was generously given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*******

This is a nicely fleshed out fantasy for the MG crowd. There are 2 different POVs, Simon and Jak. They are not the type of POVs that duel back and forth at a dizzying pace or have chapters where the speaker is hard to figure out until you check the chapter title or get so far into the chapter that you have to reread until it makes sense. I must admit, this book is rather slow to get rolling and the pace never really picked up for me BUT the story line is interesting enough to keep you turning pages. I did find myself secretly searching for the chapters about Jak, the antagonist. Seeing how this young, troubled, spoiled youth did not start out as an Evil Overlord made him much more intriguing to me. The fact that he was kidnapped by some nasty creatures, was dragged into a most unfriendly part of an unknown world, and made to endure some grievous trials and tribulations made me feel for him all the more and secretly wish to cuddle him and bring him back into the light. Seeing Jak's metamorphosis was much more interesting than reading about the struggles of a boy, Simon, that had every advantage and even seemed like things came a little too easily to him.
The secondary characters were fun, I especially liked Domic and Sonica, and they really helped to reveal the entire plot in measures...even if those measures happened to be slow increments....VERY sloooow increments. I acquiesce, I am most assuredly not the target demographic here BUT I do have a young daughter who loves, loves, LOVES to read and this is a book I would read with her in a heartbeat. My only gripe is the pacing but otherwise this book is good, clean, Fantasy!