Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

swoon, swoon, audiobook version of SWOOOOON

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, Book 4) - Maggie Stiefvater

Depending on where the story begins it's about Me, me and my undying, unwavering love for this series. It's about the euphoria of reading an amazing book coupled with the hint of sorrow caused by the cessation of the series that garnered all of the praise and devotion

This book was AWESOME! It had everything a great accompaniment to an even more amazing compilation requires:

The writing? Beautiful! Maggie Stiefvater is a master WordSmith with majestic metaphors, scintillating similes and scenarios as well as poignant prose that will make you feel like the Magical is not only possible but most probably happening to you this very moment.

The relationships are so intricately woven and expertly crafted that they seem more like Memoir than SF. I love love LOVE these characters...ALL of them! Maggie can make a character so rich and deep that the story's MC can not easily be discerned and each character has a full, complete and satisfying arc of their own. It is easy to believe that any of the cast can curry one's favor. Who's your favorite character? They're like Pringles, I dare you to pick just one. It is true though that not every character got the full fanfare farewell but the one's that did receive their own epilogues definitely deserved it.

The narration was so incredibly done and each character's voice so distinctive that I can not imagine enjoying this, the 4th and final installment, any more than I did audiobook style. I can not recommend highly enough Mr Will Patton's narrative excellence. At first he is a bit awkward to listen to, reminding me very much of a quirky Mickey Rourke. As more and more voices are introduced, his style no longer stands out for being weird but now is notable for the amazingly unique sound/ dynamic he brings to each and every distinct character. I think the series should be experienced through Mr Patton's voice and this way alone, the highest praise I can offer up regarding a narrator of print.

The ending:

The Magical dilemma was dealt with swiftly and therefore too abruptly for many a folk looking for a last knock down drag out, magically infused, showdown between Good & Evil. I personally believe that it was done correctly, with the emphasis being placed more firmly on the characters and whether or not their interconnectedness stays thusly, who dies and who doesn't, whose kisses almost drag you under (and there are quite a few) and most of all who gets their happily ever after. This series has made me a Maggie Stiefvater fan and I wish I could contract Abrupt Onset Selective Amnesia (it could be a thing) so that I could start this series anew with unknowing, untainted eyes and really...what more could you ask for in a book/series?