Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

monstrous humans and humane monsters oh my!

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity) - Victoria Schwab

"we are the darkest acts made light"

Let me preface this review with a confession. Victoria Schwab has me firmly within her ingenious literary grasp with her highly addictive, exceptionally written, blessedly unique and all around brilliant series A Darker Shade of Magic!! That most likely lead to an unrealistic expectation for this here book. To say that I was giddy to devour this story is an EXTREME understatement! Unfortunately, This Savage Song left me holding a mixed bag of emotions. A LARGE portion of the book is a slow to boil, barely simmering, pot of whiney characters who hate themselves and everyone else and aren't afraid to b!tch and moan about it for chapter upon chapter. Not only was the pacing slow but there was barely any plot to speak of. It mainly revolves around two characters, Kate and August, who both hate monsters. One of these complainers is "technically" a monster though this book mixes up the character development so nicely it is difficult to call some of the monsters monstrous and even harder to refrain from calling the humans repulsive monsters in their own rite. I liked the depiction of the monsters as humane and the humans as depraved, unrepentant monsters but that was all I could find to compliment this book on. I KNOW that I'm going against the tidal wave of happy reviews for this book but I was speed skimming through large portions which is ALWAYS a bad sign. The world building was good. The characters were diverse and kind of interesting but the plot was measly and sorely lacking. I liked being able to see the differing POVs but it just wasn't enough for me. With SO many awesome books coming out and many many MANY on my tbr list already, I think I'm going to skip book #2 in this series and impatiently await A Conjuring of Light.