Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Authentic Fairytale in the age of unoriginal retellings

The Girl Who Drank the Moon - Kelly Barnhill

This delicately woven fable was just what I needed and I didn't even realize that I was longing for something. It is an honest to goodness authentic Fairytale. I know that that sounds exaggerated or an impossibility in this day and age of unoriginal retellings BUT it is the Truth with a capital t! It is unassuming and alluring, elegant and bewitching, fanciful, addicting and everything a Fairytale should be. The reader is not verbally bludgeoned to death with a moral or an agenda. There is Good vs Evil but there is also a sliver of Good in the Evil and even that potentially saccharine message is not presented to us in a forceful manner. There are subtle twists that are fun to puzzle together and vividly rich characters and world awaiting discovery. I read this as slowly as I possibly could, savouring all of the whimsy and fribble (it's a word, I promise). I can't praise this highly enough. Bottom line? You should definitely pick this one up if you're in the mood for some old fashion yarn spinning.