Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Neil Gaiman, the man the myth the legend does it again...was there any doubt?

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel - Neil Gaiman

I enjoyed this gem via audiobook using Hoopla, which is annoying and glitchy but that's neither here nor there, and I am astounded anew each time I venture into the extremely rich, creative mind of Mr. Neil Gaiman. He narrates his own books and really who knows better the tone implied or the necessary pivotal points to be highlighted than the Creator himself? I know that is not for everyone. Not all writers are orators to boot but Neil Gaiman has a melodic British accent that is both hypnotic and unassuming (which makes the creepy or scary bits all the more terrifying) AND he is great at varying the character voices so each character feels viable, alive. The depth of this man's imagination knows no bounds and I am always amazed at how well crafted his insanely unique worlds can be. My favorite is still Neverwhere but I LOVED this book...that is until the end which seemed a bit unsatisfying and too much like a copout. Harsh sounding? YES! But only because his work commands, attains and exceeds such high expectations. His tale's impressively woven tapestry is so beautiful that I did not protest too much even after being slightly disappointed. I was thankful to have the chance to experience this wild ride alongside each and every loveable/loatheable creepy crawly, uniquely exotic, and believably Real being within. The MC and his journey encapsulate every fiber of being young and powerless and the beauty and subsequent loss of Youth's innocence (or did he?). I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a dollop of Fancy, a large helping of Whimsy and an abundance of literary excellence.