Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Beautiful Prose (of course) but all in all not as yummy as I expected from the ever amazing Mrs. Laini Taylor

Strange the Dreamer - Laini Taylor

"Some things, thought Sarai, were too lovely to devour, while others were too lovely not to."

It pains me...yes physically hurts me to give one of my all time favorite, beautifully minded, creatively unique and the current undisputed queen of poetic prose anything less than 4 stars...I feel like Vizzinni...it's simply inconceivable!!
Now it is true, for anyone who might not have read any of Mrs. Taylor's earlier works (though I doubt there are many of you out there especially those on my Friends list), her writting is usually very deep/evocative and many say "flowery". I personally LOVE how she sees and relates to the world and her imagination and skill are incomparable. Having said that, Strange the Dreamer was slow to start and once it began to pick up pace I found the direction of the plot as well as the major plot twists easily foretold. Also, that ending...that ending...how I LOATHE, how I DETEST that ending!! No spoilers here but be prepared to be disappointed. Laini (if I may be so bold as to call you that), I love you... I truly do...BUT this is nowhere near the callibre, grandeur, the resplendence of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Yes, both the character and world building were excellent! Yes, your imagination and vivid imagery are unparalled BUT the plot was slow to simmer and even harder to savour. The love story was lukewarm, the "Evil" was tame and the ending...I can't even bring myself to dignify that unsatisfying end with another mention...I promise, that's it.

"You’re a storyteller. Dream up something wild and improbable,” she pleaded. “Something beautiful and full of monsters.” “Beautiful and full of monsters?” “All the best stories are.”

Read it if you want something Strange in your life but don't expect emotional resolution...see, I didn't mention the ending again. Go ahead and read it, you know you want to. After all, at the end of the day it still is a glimpse into the magical brain of Mrs Laini Taylor (so amazing my spell check names her after just 3 letters).