Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

a magical tale revolving around the mystical African mythology...lore so engrossing that you won't come up for air until the very last word of the epilogue!

Akata Witch - Nnedi Okorafor

This was an awesome MG/YA fantasy that was steeped in the Otherworldly, ever elusive art of the Juju and other African mysticisms. Akata Witch was an engrossing Coming of Age tale of 4 African children (2 transplanted from America) who were immersed in the intricacies and secret nuances found primarily in Nigerian folklore. I love a good story based on a cultures' Mythology...especially ones that are completely foreign to me...you never know that you don't know something until you're exposed to the truth of things but what I NOW know (my apologies, I can't seem to stop saying that word at the moment) is that I am bewitched and that I have fallen hopelessly in love with this world! The book was about 4 young kids making what is essentially a Coven and the perils associated with their World. The MC is an Albino girl who learns of, as well as hones, her newfound powers in a refreshingly new (if such a thing can be called that wrt this genre that is oft times overly trope-ic...don't judge, it's a thing, I think) manner. The world building was phenomenal and incredibly imaginative BUT more importantly, it was undeniably and blessedly Unique!! The characters were endearing and perfectly humanly flawed (which I love love LOVE!). I adore a good yarn that has its characters actually working for their progress and growth... working to become worthy of a whole books' praise and notoriety. Even the tertiary characters were crafted with precision as well as being undeniably interesting. The whole book was addictive from the first chapter on and was in a voice & tone that I rarely come across... which again labels it as ridiculously refreshing! I am anxious to see what is in-store for our 4 young leading personalities and especially for our Free Agent/MC Sunny. I highly recommend this book and am (not so) patiently awaiting book #2!!

End of rambling...