Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
Blackfish City: A Novel - Sam J. Miller

"America has fallen and I don’t feel so good myself."

This was a percolator. It was a slow (cold pressed) drip that led us hand in sweaty/nanobonded hand to small epiphanies and twisty turns while ultimately delivering us on the doorstep of a hopeful, mostly resolved ending THAT was exponentially more satisfying than what I had originally envisioned.

:::GASP:::
:::DEEP BREATH:::

I apologize for the unabashed run on sentence. I will now bring you back to our regularly scheduled, more grammatically pleasing rant.

The beginning unfortunately didn't demand my attention nor did it command it to consume the plot with devout obedience. What did happen was: a tame reading tempo firmly anchored in place by a stubborn reluctance to quit based entirely on fellow GoodReads reviews. Although I will admit that when the pieces started to fall into place, my tenacity was richly rewarded with a dynamically fantastical, multifaceted, intricately woven yarn. It was a tale that tackled various ideals such as the tenacious pursuit of the Truth, the journey to find the meaning of Family, and ultimately what it feels like to be part of a loving, cohesive unit. All of this took place in a severely damaged universe featuring an anemic world populated by characters that were realistically flawed and undeniably Human.

“Fine line between good business and a fucking war crime,”

"Qaanaaq was not a blank slate. People brought their ghosts with them. Soil and stories and stones from homelands swallowed up by the sea. Ancestral grudges. Incongruent superstitions."

The world development was intense and the plot as a whole was expertly crafted. Even though it took some patience to get into a rapturous flow, the ending was quite satisfying. It assuaged my fears that this preorder was hardly worth the price of admission...BUT, good fun was had by all AND that leads to my 100%, Grade-A, wholehearted recommendation.

Enjoy!