Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Phases of the Moon by Josef Bastian

**** I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ****

I love to give glowing reviews to books I have invested time and, more importantly, pieces of myself. I would especially love to gush and rave about each and every book I am gifted BUT that's not realistic. I dread giving less than stellar reviews when an author has graciously asked for my criticism of their hard work BUT while I am reticent to speak ill of the fruits of their labor and love, I also have to be honest so here we go.

The most obvious aspect of this book is its slightly sophomoric, repetitive and succinct writing style. It has an interesting premise but it feels forced to fit, crammed tightly into a middle grade mold when it could have easily been a much more robust YA fantasy. The character interactions were stilted, awkward and flat to boot. All of the characters suffered from an overabundance of genre cliches and an underdeveloped, nondiverse cast. This is especially noticeable with the female characters. It was extremely offputting because my young reader happens to be a strong, willful impressionable young lady and I prefer that she sees her gender (and by extension herself) depicted in capable, dynamic, fully developed, positive, diverse characterizations. Is that a lot to ask? I think not but sadly this 2d depiction of females is a common tropy trend that alienates and disregards the girls that, like most readers, are looking for something of themselves in everything they read. Am I being rough? Yes! After reading the synopsis I went into this fully prepared to fall in love and unfortunately I fell into dissapointment.

Now granted, I am most likely not the targeted demographic here BUT not only have I read MANY a gripping MG & younger end of YA books, I am always on the hunt to find interesting (yet age appropriate) novels to share with my precocious child. Sadly this isn't going to be one of them.