Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Not Even Bones- Dark and Addicting

Not Even Bones (Untitled, #1) - Rebecca Schaeffer

Well, I finished this one a week ago and decided to hold off writing a review in order to let my feelings percolate a bit. What brewed was a dark, delicious blend of creepy, oft times graphic, ill fated yet somehow still hopeful perseverance against terrible odds. The characters were awesome/heinous which made them all the more appealing. The main character, Nita, was seriously messed up BUT could you blame her?? Her parental experiences were stilted, toxic and all around atrocious. Sure, she liked to dissect unnaturals though she herself was one, she did have some morals though like donors needing to be well and truly dead before gracing her table...and yes...she relied heavily on her dismemberment rituals to achieve a calm, peaceful headspace...BUT... she also questioned herself at every turn and it was this introspection that gave us a very interesting window into her psyche and holy heck was it chilling.

Peppered amongst the lush world building were poignant social commentaries like: White Male & American Privilege and the power that said privilege affords, various types of addiction and the literal and figurative market of horrors that accompanies such a beast of burden, as well as Eugenics and the controversies over its ethics. It was fascinating.

I loved the variety of characters this world had to offer although Nita's brief friendship with the other female captive was disappointing and mainly there to move the plot along. Oh well, opportunity for "sisterly"/captive solidarity bond lost. Another main character that won me over was Kovit, the reluctant jailor/torturer/all around menace. I thought without a doubt that the relationship between he and Nita would have felt more disjointed and forced but by the end I was SO on board with their budding Amore(???). It's a hard relationship to define but I absolutely loved how alike they were even though they were raised in completely different climates...it was uncanny and intriguing!

I must admit, I'm not usually one for kidnapped/trapped/drugged/tortured plots but this dark beauty had me, hook line and sinker. The pace was perfect. The nausea inducing topic of human trafficking/dismembering for a profit was intense and highly disturbing. There were loads of times that I had no idea where the plot was going and I didn't think I wanted to find out BUT the story was addicting and left me bleary eyed in the wee hours having gotten absolutely no sleep.

Constant heart palpitations?...CHECK

Transported to places previously unimaginable?...CHECK

Twists and turns?...CHECK

Worrying over the fate of fictional characters like they are your dearest friends?...CHECK

An unputdownable read?...DOUBLE CHECK

With all that being said, what more could you possibly expect for a few hours of your time?!?? You will definitely get your money's worth with this read!

~Enjoy