Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Battlestar Suburbia by Chris McCrudden- techie's delight

This book is a robo-apocalypse loving, young teen techie's new favorite read. There were loads of technology centric ideas that were both unique and entertaining. I have 2 main gripes though:

#1- Even though the characters were robotic, their development felt needlessly stunted. It was hard to relate or empathize with any of them which sadly left me with a total disconnect on my end.

BUT...

Even with their 2 dimensionalality there were a few pretty cool female archetypes. The robo-women, Pam & the cyborgs too, could have had a series devoted all to themselves and Kelly- one of the humans- (but don't hold that against her) was pretty cool too. I agree with many of the other reviewers, I would have liked more of the ancient cyborg ladies but kudos given for imagining up the whole taboo internet accessing "medium" aspect...AND... the Fondle Parlors where humans "service" the machines in seedy back alley parlors, intimating robo/human prostitution without all of the smutty details described... both scenarios were inventive and fun.

Gripe #2- The humor in this book was likened to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy BUT while this was in the same vein (light and airy commentary on the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of society), the actual jokes just didn't do it for me. In fact, though Chris McCrudden may have parodied Douglas Adams, the actual jokes felt forced like they were trying hard at playing it cool.

Ultimately, while the social critiquing was insightful and portrayed in a (slightly) humorous, manner...the levity on a whole missed its mark with me and I didn't laugh out loud or even chuckle inwardly... not once....sounds snobby?? Maybe, BUT I really just want to get across to you how much the synopsis lured me in with promises of a Douglas Adams equal only to turn around and uncerimoniously dump me into "Meh" Town. This will definitely resonate with a niche demographic and I am unfortunately not wholly in that group (though also not completely apart). The synopsis sounded too enticing to pass up but be warned that it isn't for every Douglas Adams fan.

**** I was given a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ****