Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Stronger, Faster and More Beautiful- vignettes about the not so distant future, genetic tinkering and where we are headed as a species.. SOOO good!

I listened to Stronger, faster and more beautiful on Audible and I think this format, with different narrators for each part, was the best way to experience this one. Audio books are great for when you need to multitask and flit around doing other things like cleaning the house (or not). Some of these were so good I found myself sitting down and binge listening instead of zipping around and tidying up. Oh well...for me, a dirty house is a fair price to pay if your adventure is worthwhile. It just so happens that this book of intertwined vignettes was imagined so beautifully and written so flawlessly that I couldn't help but fall in love. That's right, I'm not shy about shouting this one out...I LOVED this book! I adored each and every single vignette as well as the book as a whole! BUT It was not a smooth transition from skepticism to Amore. There were quite a few times where I found myself saying "This is messed up!! I DEFINITELY don't like this story. I hope it ends soon" and then when that specific narrative started to wrap up I thought to myself "hey, that was both stunning and poignant!".

The book spotlighted the ever changing personal and societal opinions regarding the Necessity vs. Frivality of biomedical and genetic tinkering/advancements. Each portraiture was slightly more extreme than the last. What is considered acceptable to tinker with? Which modifications are deemed medically necessary (are these even acceptable?) and which are derived from pure vanity and hubris? Are there lines not to be crossed? Where does Religion fit into this and how does that viewpoint influence others? How far would you go to uphold your beliefs? Where are we headed as a species? AND ultimately, are we engineering our own extinction?

Usually I am not one for compilations but this one caught my eye, especially with such a high rating at the time. I just had to see... erm, hear what the fuss was about. Believe me when I say that this interconnected, chronoscopic amalgamation of voices is worth the price and time you'll spend! I really loved the many evolutions within each story: the modifications, each person's/country's perspective, and most of all how/if they perceive each other as fellow "Humanbeings" after all is said and done. I loved to witness the many transformations of the unifying character Reverend Tad. Most interesting was how malleable and slippery his role/possition/ideals and contributions were and what he meant to others.

This is a great addition to the Scifi Fantasy genre!! I highly reccomend this book, especially if you're into pondering the pros & cons of biomedical engineering and where we are headed with such advancements becoming more readily available to the masses.

~Enjoy!