Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

The Cerulean by Amy Ewing-- just say no

I was thinking of trying out something new. I want to try and stop speaking too brashly about a book in my reviews. It just seems wrong to poop on someone's hard work BUT, on the other hand, I also want to be honest and let you guys know what you're getting yourself into.

Brace yourself... Here we go...

This book boasted such a wonderful premise that I totally ignored my TBR plan of attack and slipped this ahead of others. WHAT A MISTAKE! I really, REALLY, hands down did not enjoy reading this book! I wish it were possible to be refunded my time which may sound severe but it's true. I yearn for a time machine to recoup my time spent and THAT is a baaaad omen. The writing was basic, not exceptional nor horrific just middle of the road Meh (and that's the good bit). The world building was depthless. I never was able to picture what the world looked like because it was never richly described. There were problems abound, especially with the plot. There was a society comprised of only women who pair and mate in groups of 3. They were able to reproduce somehow. The book just said that they go to the birthing place. There was a (convoluted) tether connecting their City in The Sky to a planet. This tether could somehow get nutrients from the planet which was then brought up through the (nebulous) tether into the City for their consumption. Don't look at me, I'm lost in the vagueness as well. The Cerulean aliens could live in any atmosphere of any planet, eat any of the indigenous food and understand and speak any language they encounter. THEN there was a strange bit about the main Cerulean in the story being odd because she was "straight" and then another MC female (who was human) was "not like the other girls" because she liked girls...the sexual preferences parts felt forced and uncomfortable to read. There were quite a number of info dumping spots which usually leads me to skim... a grievous action in my opinion but a necessary one here. I can't help it, my brain doesnt take too kindly to insipid, depthless banality. When I encounter this I skim/skip right through whole chunks and basically I become a big 'ole cheat. I don't like it, I'm not proud of it but it's a knee jerk, autopilot reaction.

ANYWAY... back to the problems we go.

The naming of almost everything was incredibly sophomoric. Then there was the racism. The human factions were presented in a racially offensive way. The dark skinned humans that resided in one of the only two countries on the whole planet were ruthless, oppressive towards women and all around evil while the light skinned people of the other country were progressive, kind and good.

What a load of BS!!

I'm sorry, I know I said that I would try to give only positive reviews and this one could be filed under "HARSH" BUT I also want to be honest and prepare you for what you are possibly getting into. In my opinion you should steer clear of this one but that's just my 2 cents.