Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Aurora Rising

Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle #1) - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

Holy nuclear heck in an intergalactic handbasket!!

Where do I start??

Let's start off with some admissions. I am proud to be a HUGE Scifi geek! Besides that I'm a proud lover of Space Operas. Put those together and Aurora Rising sounds taylormade just for me and my ilk. This particular book happened to be one of my most anticipated books of the year. I preordered it WAY back when and then waited... I waited as months passed... I waited as seasons changed... I waited and waited for any form of news or advanced review to be revealed just so I could see how my literary dream fared. Do you know what?? All this build up and anxious waiting led to a supernova explosion of...MEH. I might have been spoiled with some amazing, underdog gems early on in the year but I never thought that I'd be so spectacularly let down by my prize pony... and man oh man was I ever disappointed!

This book was a pairing of not so stellar Space Tropes, a boring Space Heist, uninspiring drip drop Space Romances (if you can call them that) and a boat load of dueling POVs WHICH were at best- annoying and at worst -the cause of malignant time reimbursement wishing. Here are my 2 shiny pennies of thought- there definitely could have been a more seamless cohesion if only the list of POVs were whittled down to say 1 or 2. I understand that it's easier to convey a character's perspective by having us rummage around in their head but being inside so many minds felt disjointed and... well... mental (and not in the fun "I'm lovably quirky" kind of way). Sometimes more is just more and I wish that this book had something more. The characters were okay. The action was better but sporadic. The world development was lacking depth except for the imaginative, unique and varying "Alein" species...those were fun BUT I say, with a heavy heart, that I could have easily...happily...put this book down, unfinished mid way, in order to save time (and emotional attachment) for the next contender for Book of the Year.

Overall: was this dud of a Sifi Space romp horrible? No! But that No comes with a strong PSA warning-- if you have been an anxious ball of space dust waiting to read this book... if you are so excited your teeth are vibrating... then not only have you most likely injested too much caffeine but you will also likely face snoozing, apathy, and crushing disappointment in your immediate future.