Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

How to Catch A Dragon by Adam Wallace

My beautiful, precocious, literature loving daughter and I read this together and are reviewing it in 2 parts. The first review will be my (not-so-tiny) munchkin's perspective and then I will chime in with my 2 cents.

Miss A: 9 years old
"I thought the book was cool because the pictures were bright and cheerful. I especially liked the dragon. I think the rhyming made the story more fun. I was a bit confused with the Mandarin characters that were randomly given because there weren't any explanations or even ways to pronounce them. My favorite parts were when the kids threw money around and when the dragon looked around the building with a mischievous look.

I loved the story's message. I think it was saying that even though they're really awesome, you don't need a dragon to be happy.

I give it 4.5 Stars. I would have given it 5 stars if it was longer"

Me: :::mumble, mumble::: years old
I agreed almost wholeheartedly with my daughter...an increasingly rarer occurrence these days. The pictures were vibrant and the rhyming was cute. On the other hand, I found the book's brevity to be a little jarring. It felt like we were just getting into the meat and potatoes of the story when it was cut short. Yes, there was some plot resolution but I felt a little cheated that the story was so succinct. We didn't know that there were other books in the series until we came across what I believed to be a contextual clue regarding tacos. Not having read the previous installments in the series did not negatively affect our understanding or enjoyment of the book.

The moral I got from the story was: who needs a dragon when you're surrounded by loving family? As long as you have Family, you're already lucky and rich... in love.

Overall: this series would be a bigger hit, in my household, if it was a heartier/lengthier story. Maybe we weren't the optimal demographic for this read but we still enjoyed it.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

*** I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***