Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Marrow Charm by Kristin Jacques

So far they had merely eeked out an existence underground... can they survive the insanity Above? With constant peril at every turn, who among them will come out of this ever shifting world of horrors alive... and intact?

This crazy world was populated with a varied collection of dark and gruesome constructs and MAN were they imaginative and creepy as all heck. There were no (truly) safe places to be found, for macabre beings and repugnant (Mad Max type) humans took over the Above ever since magic was let loose.

Here's how things fared....
The Trifecta of Literary Awesomeness went as follows:

- The writing: was smooth and flowed perfectly. It created a bone deep sense of foreboding and promised imminent, greivis bodily harm. It was not arrogant, verbose, sophomoric or highfalutin. It really hit the spot.

- The World Building: was detailed rich and lush. There were monstrous critters and things that go GRRRRRR... HISSSSS in the night (with teeth to back up such bold warnings) and some with no warnings at all. The dread was palpable.

- The Character Development: was dynamic and poignant. Nothing and no one were completely as they seemed. I really liked our MCs, especially loyal, doting, dependable Kai. Our female MC, Azzy, was a strongly motivated, highly capable, devoted, kickass heroine. She was smart and all sorts of brave. Her bonds with both her brother, Armin, and Kai were touching. I loved both she and Kai's reactions towards their budding, enigmatic feelings for one another. AND the sibling relationship was Magical. My only gripe was that she had "instincts" that enabled her to navigate obstacles/plot pitfalls as well as push the story along in slogging areas almost to a point of major annoyance. Even though it was pushed along a highly addictive track, it was still a copout and I felt jipped!

Speaking of addictive, I couldn't put this one down no matter what time of day or chore I accidentally (on purpose) neglected in the process. It wasn't until I reached the epilogue that I fully realized that there were a frustrating number of loose ends that needed tailoring and not enough available pages to accommodate. One minute the sky was just turning dark and I'm in the thick of things then the next minute I hit the epilogue and birds are merrily chirping outside in the suffused morning light. The very next blink I found myself at the last page wondering where the heck the rest of the book went? It can't end this way, can it? I exhaled into my sleepy house (not too loud as to wake the kiddo... or hubby... he gets cranky when I wake him while screaming at my books) "oh bloody HELL!!"!

Overall: the characters were in constant peril which kept things spicy and the pages flying by without being conscious of just how much time evaporated. The Trifecta of Literary Awesomeness was met skillfully with a unique premise and rich imagery at every turn. Every box was checkecked and gone over twice. With multiple 3rd person POVs, things could have easily gotten convoluted but thankfully it worked out seamlessly here. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am very curious as to what happens next.

*** I was given a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review *** and I'd be ecstatic to review book #2 as well!...ahem