Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Ashes of Onyx by Seth Skorkowsky

This Urban Fantasy is fun fun fun! Our MC Katherine (aka Kate) is feisty, blunt, complex, extremely interesting, relatable and morally gray. She is also an incredibly impotent and dejected Magician at the onset of the book.

It starts off with our protagonist already having been dealt a punishing blow. But even though her magic has been cut off from her, she is still a sassy, strong willed, sought after Magician. As magically hobbled as she may be in the beginning, she still manages to be a total badass... albeit a badass with a magical drug habit but a badass nonetheless. After meeting up with two shady people offering to give her her deepest desire, Kate's life takes a turn for what seems like (and may actually be) the better. She even reunites with a couple of no nonsense Magicians (1 from her past plus his magically skilled lover who tags along too) and this crew has somehow formed a family... that's the way they all became the Katie Bunch...

::: sung to the iconic tune of the TV show Brady Bunch :::

Never heard of it you say? Well... I just dated myself, and that sucks. BUT I digress and if you've come to know me and my squirreling reviews at all you'll see that digression is my modus operandi.

moving right along...

This magically powered carpet ride (sans carpet somtimes) showcases a motley crew of resistance fighters, bobbing along the Ether's (between worlds) currents, trying to stop a World(s) wide takeover by a (not so) mysterious Magician. Kate and her group traverse the black void amidst all manner of beasties... big and small, malignant and indifferent, placid or ravenous. This magically mixed crew consists of non magical folk plus magicians that do not appear to be anywhere near as adept at tapping into large stores of innate/raw power as Kate can and the powerhouse herself... the MVP, Kate. Together they explore the vast multiverse, visiting phenotypically differing planets ruled by different laws of physics. This band of misfits must also figure out, and navigate, the vastly unique, muddy waters of each planet's social etiquette and propriety if they are to blend in, recruit a rebel army and take down the menacing dictator and her terrifying hounds.

Does Kate get back (and master) her magic? If so, can she level up in time? Does she manage to acquire and successfully make ready a rebel army built to take down a maniacal despot and her formidable troops? If so, will she be able to come out of this unscathed, with her crew intact?

These questions, and many more, are answered within.

Overall:

This book was fun and held my attention. It had me thinking about it even when my nose wasn't firmly planted within its pages.The writing was succinct. The characters were not only fleshed out nicely but were robust to boot. And the world(s) building? Well... the construction was intriguing, intricate and unique. I liked the overall package and I truly believe it will appeal to a wide variety of readers.

~ Enjoy

*** I was given a copy of this book from LibraryThing and City Owl Press in exchange for an honest review ***