Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Incendiary by Zoraida Córdova

This YA Fantasy was a tropey letdown. I was anxiously anticipating this read. I pre paid for the audiobook as quickly as I could... What a mistake! The audiobook narration by Frankie Corzo was extremely stilted and bland. The writing and world development were both decent but I couldn't get past how monotone and slow the overall product was. By the book's breakdown you'd think this would be a no-brainer. There was a pretty unique magic system, Rebels, courtly espionage, love, betrayl, loss all loosely set upon the backdrop of an approximation of the 15th century Spanish inquisition. The tropes were glaring, which isn't always a bad thing, but here it just added to the blandness. The magically gifted few were persecuted by the Royalty. The MC is a young magic wielder who has trouble mastering her gifts and is trying to bring down the Royals from the inside. There were a few twists that were not too difficult to suss out before their reveals BUT if the tropey plot added something, anything, new I'd be all in but the monotony knew no bounds.

Overall:
I'm sure this will find an avid audience but it didn't hit the mark for me. All in all I feel jipped and would like my time and Audible credit back.