Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore

Oona Out of Order was so good that I am sad to see it end. I heard impressive things about this book and I am happy to report that it delivered. Unfortunately there aren't enough hours in the day to read every book that catches my eye so I had to enjoy this one in spurts in audio format. I listened to this book whenever possible and do you know what? I enjoyed every second of it! It even made the worst chores in the house more bearable... I'm talking dishes, mopping the floors, dusting and even cooking... if there was a type of chore or spare moment to plug in, I was there, hanging out with Oona.

This fantastical journey was uniquely beautiful due to it's lack of chronology and the ensuing chaos that kind of life can cause. The narrator did a great job giving voice (and life) to the nicely fleshed out characters even though the men did start to sound similar after a while. The premise of trying to navigate a different year of your life at a time... out of order, made for an interesting plot. The fact that she did not know who, or what, she would encounter at the stroke of midnight on New Years made me think (and cringe) at the obstacles said lifestyle would force you to traverse. I adored the main characters and tried to put myself in Oona's shoes quite a bit. I, of course, would have done things slightly differently but, even so, it was ultimately a highly entertaining listen. There were only a few twisty turny bits but, at the end of the day, it turned out being a lighthearted romp through the craziness of a highly unmoored girl/lady's life.

Overall:

Oona Out of Order was quirky, fresh, unique, sometimes sad and oft times frustrating... so much so that, on a few occasions, I found myself glaring, judgy- like, at my tablet willing Oona to listen to my (inner) sage advice and make better choices. Nevertheless, I found myself 100% enamored with this book and with these characters. I am sorry to see it end but not devastated which in my eyes is the mark of a robust, well rounded book. I highly recommend this (audio)book, it was a mug of Hot Totty in front of a crackling fire at a posh ski resort beside someone you can't stand to be without. Take away message? Cherish each and every moment!

~ Enjoy