Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict

The Mask of Mirrors by Marie Brennan

This book was just on the right side of Interesting but skirted Boring frequently. The writing was solid. The world building was done well. The characters were almost all dimensional and most were decidedly gray... like I like them... then why was I not completely won over? If a book was able to woo on technical aspects alone then The Mask of Mirrors would be a no brainer BUT, for some reason, it just didn't wow me. Then there was the Magic. The Magics were sporadically mentioned yet not explained until much later in the book if at all... confuuuusing! SO between the vague Magic system and the boggling names and terms, I spent a lot of my time second guessing or inferring. I inferred so much that I feared I might be making up a completely different story. The worst part, all of these things had me debating the merits of skimming. I know, I know... skimming = no bueno (especially when reviewing an ARC) BUT the pacing + confusing terms/names = silly confused faces + wandering attention. Surely not a recipe for success but still... not horrific.

Overall:
This book was, unfortunately, only middle of the road Meh. I tried, I truly did, but I found it difficult to care what happened with the various intermingling plots/subplots and when I say subplots I mean Subplots with a capital S. There were side hustles aplenty. I really liked 2 secondary characters, Leato and Tess but the rest were... again... Meh. Please excuse my descriptor repetition, something which normally would irk me, BUT it's succinct AND apt so I thought it bared repeating. That might sound rough, and for that I apologize, but even though it ticked off all of the technical boxes, it just didn't compel me or demand my undivided attention. It might be a 5 star read for others but for this gal, it was more of a drip than the tidal wave I was hoping for after reading the synopsis.

*** I was given a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ***