Just One More Chapter

-Vera Nazarian

Biblioaddict
Secrets - Outcast: JournalStone's DoubleDown Series, Book V - John R. Little, Mark Allan Gunnells

These two stories, though sharing the main character's names, and some paragraphs verbatim, turned out to be WORLDS apart. The first was a quick/ disturbing read about two kids that can move around in between moments, they are able to do things while everyone else is stuck in time. Bobby Jersey and Karen don't always walk through time standstills together and they both like to use their "spare" time very differently. Karen starts off by snooping on her neighbors and friends but then quickly begins to do good deeds for anyone she can. Bobby on the other hand is psychotic and it doesn't get any better as the years pass. The main thing I kept thinking while reading was "man, this is so F'd up!!"
The second story has Karen and Bobby together again but staring in VERY different roles. I won't ruin any of the story with spoilers but it also had its dark moments and you end up loving Bobby instead of loving watching Bobby suffer like you do in the first story. The stories were riddled with typos and incomplete sentences, which was very distracting and detracted from the experience, but what I noticed most was how deftly each writer took some common basic facts and ran in totally opposite directions with them.
Overall it was interesting to see how the stories diverged but ultimately not my cup of tea seeing as how I was counting the pages hoping it would surprise me and end abruptly.